Student Veterans United
San Diego consists of one of the biggest veterans populations in the nation. The SVU program began in Fall 2012 due to the lack of support from the college for badly needed veterans’ programs. With significant budget cuts to the colleges in San Diego, our veterans coming home are lost in the shuffle. Our young veterans are struggling with many issues as they face transitioning back to civilian life on many fronts. Most veterans are very confused about their educational options as they attempt to use the Post 911 GI Bill. Many veterans are unaware of the resources available to
them nor are they familiar with the complex steps they must take to be in the system for those resources available to the The SUV program has no affiliation with the community college but the program has grown from the immense support from the VFW/American Legion, AMVETS and Ladies Auxiliary of La Mesa. The financial resources are appreciated and our young veterans are feeling more at home at our post by the warmth and friendliness of our current members. All SVU participants must join and be official members of the La Mesa VFW Ship, American Legion or AMVETS. We have received accolades from the National VA because of our huge numbers of Post 911 veterans joining the VFW.
Currently, the SVU membership has approximately 40-50 student veterans. We have a 100% transfer rate to our local four year universities, primarily to SDSU and Alliant International University.
Educational and vocational goals Body/Mind/Emotional-Wellness Vet to Vet Monitoring/Camaraderie Community Service Referrals to Resources
We are just beginning the program and have plans to develop each component, as we will apply for grants, funds and sponsorships. The program is to assist veterans to maneuver successful through the matrix of steps take the action needed to transfer on a fast track with the most current information, individual educational plan, support and follow-up needed to get you to the four year university.
ENVISION EXECUTE EXCEL
Benefit to student veterans:
- Educational Counseling-Personalized fast track educational plan. A goal date for transfer or career goal bases on your educational plan, past transcripts and unit load.
- Semester by semester follow-up of class schedule and support services available
- on-going follow-up and updates regarding SDSU, UCSD and Alliant International University policies and admission requirements
- Transition support with financial aid, scholarship search, application process and other transfer workshops.
- Sponsorship to Mud Rudder, 10K and other athletic competitions in a team effort.
- Provide workshops that may address PTSD, etc., invite special speakers in areas of interest to our population
- VAP-Veterans Art Program (in process)
Vet to Mentoring and Support
- Vet to Vet mentoring—Work together and network with other Veterans on campus and with Veterans from the four year university. Provide information about the college with each other.
- Camaraderie and networking—Athletic sponsorship, Happy Hour, dinners, social events, Veteran Motorcycle Club, employment opportunities, housing, etc.
- Outreach to the bases
- Connecting with our seasoned Veterans at our post and locally
- Provide an emergency fund for members awaiting their BAH from the delay in processing their benefits
- Service to the Post and to the community such as Santa at the Ship and
other events that give back to the veteran’s community (including families of Veterans)
- Referrals to agencies (services such as medical resources at VA and Vet Center, Wounded Warriors, Veterans Village etc., personal counseling, Veterans work study etc., in community that supports Veterans.
For More Information Contact: